Both Skype and ooVoo are getting a lot of attention as free video calling applications. Both have free conference calls too and they also let you make free group video calls to your friends. Let us see the 10 prominent differences between these two applications.
- Skype does not offer free video conferencing while oovoo lets you do a free video conferencing with up to 6 friends for lifetime.
- Skype is moving into VoIP calling letting you make calls to phone numbers worldwide while ooVoo has concentrated only on audio and video calling between ooVoo users although they also have VoIP calling.
- ooVoo offers you to video chat from a web browser without installing a client while Skype mandates you to download their software/client.
- ooVoo lets you video chat by adding ooVoo chat rooms in your website or blog while Skype does not provide that functionality.
- Skype can be installed for Linux too while ooVoo is available for only Windows and Mac platforms.
- Skype can embed code on pages you visit so that you can call any phone number on any page using Skype, while ooVoo does not have that option.
- Skype premium costs $9.99 per month or $60 per year while ooVoo premium costs $30 per year or $3 per month.
- Skype premium comes with unlimited free calls to one country of your choice – the list is very limited though – while ooVoo does not offer such feature.
- Getting Skype on your computer takes more clicks and typing before you set it up while ooVoo is easy to set up – download – install – register
- ooVoo lets you record your conversations for later use.
To conclude, we believe that both Skype and ooVoo are decent softwares for video conferencing. Moreover, it is better for consumers to have multiple players in a market to avoid a single provider to monopolize the space and ruin the competitive edge. We would recommend you to at least try ooVoo once as it is necessary to know your options just in case.
Your special download comes with a free trial of premium services for three months. That means for the first three months you can make video calls to up to 12 of your friends at a time.
If we go by the third party results, 8 out of 10 Skype users prefer oovoo. What about you? why don’t you try it and let us know? We will wait for your comment.