Our causal “wassup” has now just gone bigger and might we say better with Whatsapp messenger. It is also known as the Wassup App or Wassup Application. The two geeky guys from the heart of silicon valley has just made our friendly note into one of the best free texting app that we have seen in the recent times. A Smart App for the Smart phones. That’s what Whatsapp is all about. If you want to send free instant text messages, voice messages, photos, music etc. you now have a one stop application called whatsapp for all your needs. WhatsApp for Blackberry version has changed the landscape for Blackberry owners altogether. If you are, however, looking for free calls we would suggest our offer for free international calls to our readers.
So what is whatsapp and how does it work? Whatsapp is a multiplatform mobile messaging application, which helps you to connect to any person in the world and lets you exchange messages for free. “What’s new about it?” is what you may ask, the most important part is that it connects you to all smartphones, there is even WhatsApp for Blackberry, in addition to WhatsApp iPhone, WhatsApp Andriod or even WhatsApp for Nokia x2-01. The blackberry messenger can now take a back seat because WhatsApp for Blackberry application connects across all the platforms that the blackberry messenger doesn’t do. And unlike complicated PINs that you need to use in Blackberry, Whatspp just needs the contact number for you to connect to anyone. It is as simple as that.
How capable is Whatsapp
It’s not just the text messages, you can also exchange photos, Videos, voice notes, music and a lot more with your whatsapp and the best thing is that its’ all for free. WhatsApp can sure extend into a free international calls app because it uses XMPP and people are working on advocating using XMPP and VoIP together. Even today, you may be anywhere in the world but as long as you are connected through whatsapp, you can send and receive any message for free. Whatsapp works over internet thus it is obvious you need to be connected to internet in some form.
How to get Whatsapp
If you want to use Whatsapp go to the application centre of your smart phone and search for and download Whatsapp; for Blackberry and Andriod, it is free of cost and for iPhone there is just a one time payment of 99 cents. Not a very big price to pay for something this functional. As far as Nokia is concerned, currently the same is in a beta stage and you can only get WhatsApp for Nokia X2-01 phones and C series phones such as C1 and C2, but they are soon going to release the same to other S40 devices so hold on to those phones.
How to setup Whatsapp
Once you download the application, it will ask for a confirmation by requesting you to let them send you a message on your cell phone. If you do not have free text messaging this will cost you some money. However, you know you can save this by using a Google Voice account. The Whatsapp application requires only your cell phone number. So after you receive the message, you need to type in the 3-4 digit activation code your whatsapp is now ready to use.
How to add contacts on Whatsapp
As long as the person you want to talk to is on your phone contact list, you will be able to see them on your whatsapp contact list too without any further actions required from your end. The moment you click on them a chat window will pop up and then voila, you can text, send, receive to your heart’s content. It’s not just this. Whatsapp also offers you a chance to make groups and have group chats. You can even save chat history on your device as well as email the chat history if you would like it. And everything is just a click away. You can set your status and let the world know what you are thinking. That’s not it, you are sure to receive any offline messages, in case you are not online. So you will never miss a thing. There is so much you can do with this application. You can even change your chat background, send contact details of any person on your phone or just share your location. Did we forget to mention this supports push notification.
- WhatsApp For iPhone: Requires iOS 3.1 or later
- WhatsApp For Blackberry: OS 4.5 or above
- WhatsApp For Android: OS 2.1 or above
- WhatsApp From Ovi Store: Nokia S60 3rd edition, 5th edition or Symbian^3 Operating System
- Supported device list for Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson:
- Symbian Anna: X7 · E6
- Symbian: N8 · C6 · C7 · E7
- S60 5th edition: Nokia 5800 · Nokia 5800 · Nokia 5530 · Nokia 5230 · Nokia 5233 · Nokia N97 · Nokia N97 mini · Nokia X6 · Nokia C6 · Samsung i8910 Omnia HD · Sony Ericsson Satio · Sony Ericsson Vivaz · Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
- S60 3rd edition: Nokia 5700 · Nokia 6110 · Nokia 6120 · Nokia 6121 · Nokia 6124 · Nokia 6290 · Nokia E51 · Nokia E63 · Nokia E66 · Nokia E71 · Nokia E90 Communicator · Nokia N76 · Nokia N81 · Nokia N81 8GB · Nokia N82 · Nokia N95 · Nokia N95 8GB · Nokia 5320 · Nokia 5630 · Nokia 5730 · Nokia 6210 · Nokia 6220 · Nokia 6650 fold · Nokia 6710 Navigator · Nokia 6720 · Nokia 6730 · Nokia 6760 Slide · Nokia 6790 Surge · Nokia C5 · Nokia E52 · Nokia E55 · Nokia E71x · Nokia E72 · Nokia E75 · Nokia E5 · Nokia N78 · Nokia N79 · Nokia N85 · Nokia N86 8MP · Nokia N96 · Samsung GT-i8510 · Samsung GT-I7110 · Samsung SGH-L870 · Samsung SGH-G810 · Samsung SGH-iNNN
Next time you think of someone whether he is India, china or USA, know that they are just a “Whatsapp” away. Our sincere thanks to Ms. Riddhi Shah for sharing this article with us.