If you are in the market for a decent Home phone, or a phone for your home office then you have come to the right place. This method to get a free home phone using Google Voice is better than the likes of MagicJack, NetTalk, Skype and other services that offer you an internet based phone service, mainly because there is no monthly or yearly or any “otherly” fee here.[wpsr_facebook]
Google Voice is an exemplary service to make free phone calls to anyone in USA and Canada. Google Voice also lets you send free text messages to these two countries. Google recently announced that Google Voice will be free till the end of
2011 2012 (details here) 2013 (details here). We are pretty sure that it will be free for at least few more years. Having said that, we are taking this service a step further today. We have discovered a method to use Google Voice to replace your home phone without any kind of monthly payment. This is by far the best invention that stands on the shoulders of a giant.
No Computer Required
For the solution that we are going to talk about there is no need to have a computer running 24×7. Does that make the ATA lover/Guru inside you little curious? Yes, there is no need to have a dedicated computer system that runs as your ATA server. You can have a FREE home phone system without a computer system.
What do you need for FREE Home Phone system
- High Speed Internet Connection (Broadband will do)
- A telephone system (your existing system is fine or buy a DECT phone from Amazon)
- A Google Voice account – Create one dedicated to this system that is other than your personal Gmail account.
- OBi110 Adapter Buy it from Amazon for just $49.99.
Step by Step tutorial to build your Home Phone System
- Buy the ObiHai Adapter if you haven’t already bought it.
- The next step is to set up a Google Voice account. Follow the steps given in the next section for that.
- Press *** on your Obi110 device after connecting it to your adapter and landline phone. Read the IP address. Go to this page by ObiHai to complete Google voice set up.
That is it. You have a free landline phone line without any more monthly payments to make. Time to say Good Bye to MagicJack, NetTalk, Vonage, and even ATA.
How to Get Google Voice Account Setup
- Visit google.com/voiceand register for a new account.
- Select a number and verify it using your phone.
- Go to Voice settings (under settings on top right) and 1) turn call screening OFF 2) Incoming number should be set to caller’s number 3) Do not disturb should be off.
- Additionally, make a call to a landline phone from the Gmail account using Call Phone option for this account. This is recommended by ObiHai as the steps to get this device working.
Warning: You do not get 911 calling with this setup
Please note that Google Voice does not provide 911 calls. You will not be able to use this Google voice home phone setup for emergency calls. However, people have found ways to solve this problem. See the options below and decide which way you want to go:
- You can forward 911 calls to a local emergency dispatch centre. This way when you dial 911 on your Obi Device it will be sent to the local emergency center which is as good as 911 – your call will be set to the call center over a regular number.
- You can pay VoIP services such as CallCentric a small sum ($1.5 per month) and get E-911 (enhanced 911) service. Then you put CallCentric on your second line (on Obi 110) and there you go. Make the following change to your Obi110 and you will have E-911 pon your Google Voice home phone. A little change will be required as shown below- thanks to RonR on Obitalk forums.
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:
Can I use ObiHai with Google Voice Outside USA?
We get that question a lot, here at CorVoIP and other online forums. The truth is, you can use it without any issues. However, you must have a Google Voice account that can only be created in a limited number of countries. If you have a Google Voice account, just make a test call from your Gmail inbox and then configure the Google voice account with ObiHai device. It will work 100%, we have it working at our office in India. We now have a USA based number for our partners to call us for free. Moreover, we can make free calls to USA and Canada using our ObiHai and Internet connection.
Update Available – Much better device from Obi
If you are interested in getting Google Voice for your home phone services, we recommend our newer post on using Obi 202 device for Google Voice based landline phone. You will be able to connect two phone lines using that method as well as you can use it over wi-fi.